Hydro plays a key role in the Yukon’s electricity mix. In 2018, we used water to generate almost 94 per cent of the electricity needed by Yukoners connected to the Yukon grid. Thermal fuel sources like liquefied natural gas (LNG) and diesel were used to generate the other 6 per cent of Yukoners’ needs.
Running a hydro operation means being at the mercy of available water. We have three hydroelectric generation facilities in Whitehorse, Aishihik and Mayo. Over the past two winters, warm temperatures and dry conditions in much of the Yukon has resulted in lower than normal snow pack and water inflows at all three of our hydroelectric generation facilities.
With less water available to generate electricity, we’ll need to use more LNG this spring and fall to meet electricity demand. We anticipate needing to generate an additional 50 to 100 GWh of electricity using LNG in 2019, depending on the amount of rain we get this year. The more rain we get, the less LNG we’ll need to use.
With every simple conservation choice we make, we reduce the need to use LNG and diesel to generate electricity and save more of Yukon’s resources for the future. Make simple choices – turn off the lights when you leave a room, take a five-minute shower instead of 10, use LEDs instead of incandescent lights. In addition to being good for the environment, these simple acts also save you money each month by lowering your power bill. Electricity conservation makes your life better — in real, everyday ways.
Please see the document below for more information about snow pack and forecast inflow levels this year. For more energy conservation tips, visit https://www.inchargeyukon.ca/
Be the first to comment