Here are some tips to help ensure you are safe from electricity hazards:
- Don't poke toys, utensils, fingers or other objects into wall plugs
- Don't try to disconnect your power meter – it could explode
- Keep electrical cords away from heat and water
- Use a power bar for multiple electrical connections
- Don't use cords or plugs that are worn or damaged
- Use properly rated and approved extension cords
- Don’t break off the third prong of a plug
- Never remove a plug with wet hands or when you're touching a metal object
- Only use appliances that have been Canadian Standards Association (CSA) approved
- Don't use appliances near water
- Unplug the toaster before trying to remove bread that's stuck
- Don't replace a fuse in the dark – use a flashlight or candle
- Turn off all lights and appliances on the circuit before changing a fuse
- Replace a blown fuse with one of the correct rating
- Check to ensure the fuse is screwed in tightly … a loose fuse can overheat
- Have a qualified electrician do wiring or other electrical work around your home
- Don't spray water hoses or guns at power lines
- Don't prune trees around power lines – call in an expert to do this
What to do if you come across a downed power line
- Stay at least 15 metres from the downed line. Walking over the area can be fatal.
- If you feel a tingling sensation, put your feet together and shuffle or hop out of the area without touching anything with your hands.
- If you're in a vehicle, slowly drive at least 15 metres away from the line if you can. If this isn't possible, stay in your vehicle and have someone call for help. If your vehicle is on fire or there's some other reason that you must leave the scene immediately, jump out of your car or truck with both feet together, without touching the vehicle. Shuffle or hop at least 15 metres away.