Working around our lines
Contact with power cables is very dangerous and could result in death. If you must do work around power lines, please take the following precautions:
- Notify Yukon Energy that you will be working in the vicinity of our lines. Call 1-800-676-2843.
- Equipment should not operate closer than seven metres from our power lines. If you must work closer than seven metres, call Yukon Energy to have the line de-energized.
- Work around power lines can only be done during daylight hours.
- No earth or other material can be placed under or adjacent to an overhead power line if it reduces the clearance above the ground for the power lines.
- You cannot excavate or perform similar work in the vicinity of an overhead power line if it reduces the support for the line.
- If you accidentally contact an overhead power line, stay clear and call Yukon Energy.
- Always call local emergency personnel when someone is injured in an electrical accident.
For further details, see the information sheet found at the bottom of this page.
What to do if you come across a downed power line
Stay at least 10 metres from the downed line. Walking over the area can be fatal.
If you feel a tingling sensation, put your feet together and shuffle or hop out of the area without touching anything with your hands.
If you are in a vehicle, slowly drive at least 10 metres away from the line if you can. If this isn't possible, stay in your vehicle and have someone call for help. If your vehicle is on fire or there's some other reason that you must leave the scene immediately, jump out of your car or truck with both feet together, without touching the vehicle. Shuffle or hop at least 10 metres away.